Wednesday 9 October 2013

Blog #2 : First Impressions

Wednesday, October 2 I had my first day of my internship . I arrived at 12 pm at The Yellow Door with May Ann. Our host, Sonia, informed us that the social club is a few minutes walk from there. While we walked together, she informed us that there will be various activities in the social club. Sonia was energetic and really wanted to introduce us to her group of elderly. When we arrived, I noticed that Sonia complimented all the seniors. For example, she asked with interest where they bought their clothes.
 
Later, Sonia was going to buy food during our yoga classes. After we relaxed and stretched, I discovered that she prepared food for us all to eat. While we ate, Sonia moved from table to table to talk to everyone about different topics. After some hesitation, I decided to mimic her, and I discovered that there was more culture in the group than I thought. Some of them were from Australia, some from France, Central Asia, Sri Lanka, etc. I loved talking to them, and as I expected, the elderly can talk a lot! They were so eager to share their life experiences with me.  What I really liked is that when I spoke they corrected me and helped me with my pronunciation. When I talked to the elderly, I did not pay attention to the expressions that they used, but I learned more words by writing this blog.
 
anecdote:
To conclude, before yoga, I had to open the main door for the group. I greeted them with enthusiasm and let them into the room. Suddenly, I was distracted by something and the door closed ! I got locked out ! Lucky me that a window was next to the door, so I was able to knock and they came back
to open the door .
 

No comments:

Post a Comment