Thursday 28 November 2013

Entry #6: Pumpkin + Sewing


Welcome Blogger!

Today I will talk to you about my two days of internships. It was Wednesday October 30 and November 6. 

Wednesday October 30, we did an activity about <<How to make a pumpkin for Halloween? >>. First, we were paired with a partner. Second, we cut out the pumpkin by removing the seeds and the flesh. Third, we chose a design in a paper to reproduce it by drawing on the side of the pumpkin. Fourthly, we cut along the lines and in the end, we placed a candle inside the pumpkin.

Wednesday November 6, we made baby hats for new born babies. When we finished, my host Sonia donated them to women shelter just in time for the cold weather. During the workshop, I learnt sewing and some new words as bib and pacifier.

All the words I have highlighted are the new words I learned.

I will employ them, maybe, when I will go shopping or when I will babysit. But, it is certain that one day I'll have to use those words.

How has my English improved so far during my internship?

Listening Comprehension

I still have misery with listening, but when someone repeated me the second time I better understand.  For example, a lady told me two times that she had an headache this morning. When I analysed the word "headache", I discovered that head is represent "tête", ache means "douleur" and overall this is equal "mal de tête".

Accent

In my opinion my accent did not change as much. By cons, I have some problem to pronounce the word "thought", "thus", "through", "taught", "threw", etc. Because of my pronunciation, when I write those words I do often many mistakes. For instance, I write the word thought and taught strangely like that "thougth and taugth".

Fluency

Before my internship, I was talking quickly with a basic vocabulary. Now, I don't talk too fast nor too slow, which allows me to choose my new vocabularies that I learned in class or in my internship.

Humour

Once when I was holding the door, an old man came to give me three dollar to thank me for having held him the door. He even said that I was a good "doorwoman”, but when I said “no thank you” for the three dollar with a smile, he took it wrong and he said that it was just a joke. I do not understand it yet how can I would react differently to its proposal.
I think there are no differences between the Francophone and Anglophone jokes, because both contain puns, the similarities and the differences between two or three objects, riddles, etc. Likewise both have the same topic.

Accuracy

In my English class, I did a work on the pronunciation sound. I needed to put the past tense verbs in three category which was [ed], [t] and [d].  As a case in point I put the word "parked" in the [d] category, but the good answer is the [t]. Also, I put "caused" in the [t] category, but the good answer is the [d]. In addition, I wrote "recorded" in the [d] category, but the good answer is the [ed].

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment